Lead Removal Whole House Water Filter
Remove Lead from Your Drinking Water
Lead (Pb) is a soft and heavy metal used in a surprisingly wide range of industrial applications and processes. It is a highly poisonous neurotoxin that can accumulate in both soft tissue and bone, leading to brain and nervous system disorders. Exposure to lead is especially dangerous for young and developing children. Most commonly it is introduced to the human body by ingestion of contaminated water and food, although it can be introduced through inhalation and direct contact as well.
Unfortunately, one of the most common methods of exposure is through contaminated drinking water. Homes and buildings built before 1986 regularly used lead pipes, fixtures, and solder. Water, especially more acidic water, corrodes old pipes and fixtures like these over time and the lead dissolves into the water supply. (The Flint, Michigan water crisis was an example of this type of problem on a large scale. The water source itself was not contaminated, but instead, the water was corroding old piping and the lead was leaching into the water that way.) Once dissolved, lead is invisible, odorless and tasteless, making it extremely hard to detect without proper testing. Because lead is so dangerous and hard to detect, the EPA has set their maximum contaminant level goal for lead to zero. They recommend regular testing for lead contamination as well as using a water filter that is designed specifically to remove lead.
Lead is a heavy metal that is denser than most common materials. Addressing lead is partially done by replacing ions. To keep this media in top performance it must be regenerated* regularly, renewing its ability to effectively remove lead from water. Your automatic control valve regenerates automatically according to programmed date and time, generally weekly.
Choosing Your SystemWhen choosing your system take into account your flow rate and contaminant level. If you have a larger home and a higher level of contaminants, you will require a larger GPM system. A smaller home with a lower level of contaminants will require a smaller GPM system.
Water flows through a 20" sediment cartridge that removes sediment, silt, sand, and dirt.
Water flows through a 20" solid carbon cartridge for removing volatile organic carbon compounds (VOC's), & any remaining insecticides, pesticides, and industrial solvents.
Lead Removal Water Filter
- Water flows through high-quality resin beads. These beads are covered with sodium ions. As lead passes through, the resin beads act as a magnet, attracting the calcium and magnesium ions (hardness) as well as lead in exchange for the sodium ions.
- Eventually, the resin beads become saturated with mineral ions and have to be "recharged". This process is called regeneration and it is conducted by the control valve on the top of the tank. The control valve is the brain of the system. During regeneration, a strong brine solution is flushed through the resin tank, bathing the resin beads in a stream of sodium ions which replace the accumulated calcium and magnesium ions (hardness). The brine solution, carrying the displaced calcium and magnesium ions is the flushed down the drain by fresh water. The regenerated resin beads can be used again and again.
- Water flows through our SMART Multimedia, which includes 2 types of coconut shell Granulated Activated Carbons (Standard & Catalytic GAC) infused with our Eagle Redox Alloys® 6500 & 9500, and ion exchange resin to reduce contaminants such as heavy metals, i.e. lead and mercury, chlorine, chloramine, and inorganic products such as herbicides, pesticides, petroleum/pharmaceutical by-products and achieve a balanced pH.
Additional Product Options
- Leak Detector Valve: Used to detect a water leak within a water filter system and shuts down the water supply to prevent flooding.
- 12 GPM UltraViolet Water Sterilizer: Specifically designed to meet the demanding microorganism control concern. These microorganisms can range from bacteria and viruses to algae and protozoa. A major advantage of UV treatment is that it is capable of disinfecting water faster than chlorine without cumbersome retention tanks and harmful chemicals to your drinking water.
|Service Flow (GPM)||6-8 or 8-10||12-14 or 16-18|
|Tank Dimensions||10" x 54"||12" x 52"|
|Material||Stainless Steel or Fiberglass||Stainless Steel or Fiberglass|
|Brine Tank Dimensions||18" x 33"||18" x 33"|
|Sediment Cartridge (2-7/8"x20")||CQE-RC-04015|
|Carbon Block Filter Cartridge (2-7/8"x20")||CQE-RC-04014|